It's been over 20 years since I did The Landmark Forum and life since then has been a constant series of breakthroughs and breakdowns. But there's been one persistent irritation over that time: other people.
I consistently find myself in challenging situations with other people thinking: "This asshole would be a lot easier to deal with if they did The Landmark Forum".
I even had a friend once who made me wrong for using the phrase "made me wrong".
I'm a little tired of being a circle adrift in a sea of triangles. I suspect that the whole world would be a better place if everyone did The Landmark Forum; especially the people who don't think they need to, because they tend to do the most damage.
Some of these people really need to be slapped around the head by a Landmark Forum leader.
Mind you, I can't say for certain that the world would be a better place if everyone did The Forum, just like I can't say for certain that the world would be a better place without theistic religion, because such a world doesn't exist to compare this one against.
It seems to me that some Landmark Forum graduates get stuck robotically applying distinctions forever instead of fully healing the emotional wounds from our past that constrain our natural freedom, power and full self-expression. The thought of being surrounded by Landmarkian robots really freaks me out.
But as my S.E.L.P. leader said: "Imagine what the world would be like, even if everyone just understood the one distinction 'rackets'."
I've got to admit, it's an inspiring possibility; and I'm pretty sure there's a Special Evening coming up soon... because there always is. (How is it special then?)
Landmark Education claim that "Anything you want for yourself and your life is available from your participation in The Landmark Forum". And naturally your friends want to be a stand for you to live powerfully, but here are the real reasons your friends want you to do The Landmark Forum:
- You're too busy spouting opinions about how the game of life should be played to actually get on the court and play powerfully yourself.
- You don't know that they know that you don't know that you don't know what you don't know.
- Your many prejudices that filter the way you view the world look about as ridiculous as wearing multiple pairs of sunglasses; but you'd at least be aware of the sunglasses.
- You don't listen, you never have and you never will.
- Your life hasn't even really started yet because you're still complaining about your Mum & Dad. Still!!!
- You realised that something was wrong when you were a kid, but you mistakenly concluded that the problem was you; otherwise you'd be a sociopath.
- You are a sociopath.
- You're (self-)righteous attitude stinks; you just can't smell it.
- You're always late and you don't realise that it's really pissing everyone off.
- Your word is your power; but you can't even manage your own toilet breaks without breaking yours, so you need some serious practise at that.
- You take too long to choose which flavour of ice cream you want.
- You persistently complain about other people and play victim, but don't take responsibility for the fact that you created and/or perpetuated the problem in the first place.
- You regularly let people down but never apologise, so you deserve to suffer an endless integrity conversation for all eternity.
- You haven't realised yet that you're the asshole.